httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wortham" <djwort...@gmail.com>
Subject Temporary files directory
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:30:45 GMT
Hi guys,
   More issues with temporary files.

   I'm trying to find a place (directory) to use for writing a set of
long-term temp files (cache files).  So far, I have found these two calls:
ap_server_root_relative(p, "logs/") and
apr_temp_dir_get((const char**)&temp_dir, p);

Problems:
(1) Neither guarantees that the directory exists
(2) There is no guarantee that the user Apache is running as will have
permissions to write to this directory (even if I create it... as root) **
**Apache must run as root to access port 80 (the usual case), but can be set
to switch to another user (apache | nobody | some other user) before the
multiple child processes are created.
If I create a directory, I can set permissions, but I can not set the
permissions of the components of the path necessary to traverse to the temp
directory.

My question is:
How does Apache write to the access and error logs?  Can I use the same code
to write to the same directory?*
* I need to write to my own file(s) not write to existing log files (my
cache files are serialized structs).
Does anyone else know of a well-tested module that can handle user-switching
and writing to logs gracefully?

Thanks,
Dave
--