httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: translate_name and/or map_to_storage hooks
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:33:01 GMT
Sam Carleton wrote:

>> when I
>> /coolapp/images be
>> > >
>> > You're going to want to parse/compare the string.  The "Right Way(tm)"
>> > to do this would probably be during the translate_name or possibly
>> > map_to_storage hooks to separate the URI mapping logic from the actual
>> > response processing logic.
>>
>> You totally lost me with the "translate_name" and "map_to_storage", I
>> will have to do some reading on it.
>
> Issac,
>
> I am not exactly sure how I would leverage either the translate_name
> hook or map_to_storage hook.  The best I can figure is that I should
> hook translate_name and this is the translation:
>
> /coolapp?<params> --> /coolapp?type=index&<params>
>
> /coolapp/images?<params> --> /coolapp?type=image&<params>
>
> Do I have the right idea?
>
> Sam
Yes, it's the correct direction, but if you're just going to mangle the
query string, you could just as easily do it with mod_rewrite.   The
only reason you'd need to code anything in your own module is if you
want to, say, guarantee that <params> contains a valid image file before
continuing the request chain; in such a scenario, you'd add a handler to
map_to_storage which does at least a partial parsing of <params> and
checks that the requested image exists, and if not aborts with a 404 error.

  Issac