httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Saju Pillai" <saju.pil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PHP Extension Deinitializing on Startup
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2007 02:28:25 GMT
On 20/04/07, Joe Lewis <joe@joe-lewis.com> wrote:
> Michael B Allen wrote:
> > Hi Saju,
> >
> > Actually I'm not sure this is my problem. I have tested my PHP extension
> > on numerous platforms and I have only ever seen the PHP extension
> > initialization / deinitialization routines run once for each restart.
> >
> > Is the "load -> unload -> load" behavior you describe something new that
> > Apache just started doing?
> >

> Apache has been doing that for eons. But apache does it to the apache
> extensions, while PHP would do it to the PHP extensions. I really expect
> that you should be working with the PHP lists rather than here from the
> original posting. (See http://www.php.net/mailing-lists.php for one that
> might fit your needs).
>
> Saju is absolutely correct - when a module is loaded by apache, a hook
> called post_config() is called twice (for checking the config file first
> that the syntax is okay, and then for the actual configuration), but I'm
> not sure if the .so is free()d from memory during that process. I always
> thought that it did not actually reload the .so (correct me if I am wrong).

mod_so loads a module using apr_dso_load() . This call registers a
pool cleanup callback that is called during config pool clearing to
unload the dso.

Without all modules getting unloaded in a restart cycle, you would not
be able to get rid of a module across restarts by commenting out it's
LoadModule.

-srp