httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a thanks and C++ new overloading
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:39:09 GMT
On 3/29/07, Ralf Mattes <rm@seid-online.de> wrote:

> Well, please consider all I say with a certain amount of doubt since I'm
> not a C++ developer (only did one C++ module, the rest was plain C) and
> favor C (or Obj. C) over C++,

Interesting, Are you doing large projects in C?  I know both well and
simply cannot imagine developing a large system in C.  I know Apache
is all in C, but man, I really like my objects;)  Obj. C does sound
interesting, can you recommend any good sites that can enlighten me
more about the subject?

> but: Since you seem to like the Apache way
> why not use it for the GUI as well. The memory pooling and eveything
> prefixed with 'apr_' is actually part of the Apache Portable Runtime
> which can be used independent from the Apache webserver (Subversion is a
> prominent example for such a project). You just need to decide whether
> memory pools[1] are a good fit for your GUI application.

Why not?  Because I had not stop to make the obvious connection;)

> [1] For another nice MPS have a look at:
> http://www.ravenbrook.com/project/mps/doc/2002-01-30/ismm2002-paper/ismm2002.html

yea, the whole memory management thing is a huge can or worms, nice to
know that there is the above MPS and apache's to pick from.

Sam