httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <>
Subject Best way to debug
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:22:15 GMT
yea, I tried installing mod_perl and I still got the same problem.  I
finally simply tried nmake install and it worked, despite the perl
error;)  So I was up to 1am working on my new apache module!

I recall beating my head agaisnt the wall last time I tried writing an
apache module, but that was back in the 1.x days, on *NIX, not my
native platform, and without a debugger.  Today on Windows with a
debugger, things are running very smoothly!

I do have a debugging question:  As we all know, when you fire up
httpd, it starts at least one more instance.  If I am not mistaken, on
Windows it is only one more.  When I try to debug in VS6, it attaches
to the first instance of httpd, not the one that I actually want to
debug.  VS6 lacks the ability to debug multiple programs at one time,
so...  I am using VS2005.  This is what I am doing...

1: Compiling on VS6
2: Go to a command window and starting httpd
3: Go to an instances of VS2005 and attaching to both instance of httpd
4: When down debugging, I deattach VS2005 from the httpd
5: Go to the command line and press <Ctrl>+<C>

Is there any why to have httpd start up such that it does not start a
second process so that I can simply debug with VS6, skipping steps 2
through 4?  If no, so be it, it would simply be nice;)

On 3/28/07, Issac Goldstand <> wrote:
> Ick.  The Perl glue likes to take over like that on windows.  Try
> running win32\ (directly) and passing --disable-perl-glue.
> (Or make life easier on yourself by building and installing mod_perl
> first - you don't need to use it afterward)

View raw message