httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apache module or CGI (conclusion)
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:17:40 GMT
On 3/27/07, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:

> > More importantly,  lets say my module is called mod_coolapp and when I
> > have it installed, you get to it at /coolapp.  I want /coolapp to be
> > the equivalent to the index.php and then have say, /coolapp/images be
> > the same as imageHandler.php.  Is there any trick to knowing which
> > "page" is being requested or is it simply a matter of doing a string
> > compare to see if the first part of the string passed the actual URL
> > (/coolapp/) is images?
> >
> You're going to want to parse/compare the string.  The "Right Way(tm)"
> to do this would probably be during the translate_name or possibly
> map_to_storage hooks to separate the URI mapping logic from the actual
> response processing logic.

You totally lost me with the "translate_name" and "map_to_storage", I
will have to do some reading on it.

> > Oh, one final question.  I am going to set things up so my customers
> > have great flexibility in what the web page actually looks like.  The
> > module will read in a template file to get what the out side, HTML
> > wrapper is and then will call different XSLT scripts to actual
> > transform the XML the module creates into HTML.  Is there any
> > standards as to where these resource files should be located?

I have thought of another question centered around the above concept
of making the site configurable:  Is the above approach the best and
most flexible approach?  Is there a better approach?

Sam