httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to get started?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:58:48 GMT
On 3/27/07, Ralf Mattes <rm@seid-online.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 22:05 -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> > Ok folks,
> >
> > I am developing on Windows.  I have VC6, VS2005, and Cygwin installed.
> >  I would prefer ot use VS2005, but VC6 will work, Cygwin is a last
> > resort, VERY last resort.  I first thought I would try Ralf's advice
> > of running  apxs -g -n fancy_image_handler, but I cannot find  apxs on
> > my Windows machine.
>
> Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I only recalled on my way home that you're
> running on Windows.

Not a problem I got it worked out;)

> I can't comment at all on Windows development - never done it. Iff you
> want your module to run on Unix/Linux as well it might be a good idea to
> install VMWare Player and live images for Linux(Ubuntu), Solaris and
> NetBSD/OpenBSD.

Oh, I have lots of *NIX machines to pick from, I have a OpenBSD
machine (my firewall), Solaris 8, and a SuSE Linux, no need for
VMWare.  There are two issues, equally big, in terms of me doing the
development on anything other then Windows:

1: The GUI frontend to the system is all 100% Windows right now, even
though the web side can stand on it's own, it would be a pain to have
to go back to windows all the time to change the data feeding the
kiosk.

2: I know the tools in Windows to do C/C++ development, been using
them for over a decade now.  I have never developed in *NIX, so there
is most definitely a learning curve.

The way I see it, I will make my best effort to keep the module
platform neutral.  I am thinking about taking the time to learn how to
setup the module with, I think it is called, automake, so that I can
see if I can get it to compile and run on one of the other platforms I
have, but if it takes too much time, I am willing to shelve it for
now, it just means there might be more work later to fix the bugs when
I take the GUI cross platform.  Can anyone point me to some good,
quick and easy documentation to setup an automake project?

Sam