httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apache module or CGI
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:41:47 GMT
On 3/26/07, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:
> If the images are already on the server, and needed for the response
> immediately, you'd need to do it inline, but you could still make life
> easier on yourself (somewhat) by caching the reduced images to avoid
> reprocessing.
>
> I could give more specific advice if you could share a bit more about
> what you're trying to accomplish in general.

Issac,

It is beyond simple.  There are a bunch a full size image (4 MB to 16
MB) on the web server that need to be indexed (210x140 size) on the
browser, when the user clicks on a thumbnail, they need to get a
larger (900x600 size) image to view.  They are getting any where from
12 to 96 of the indexed images per page.

Like I said above, I fully understand the importance of caching the
results.  Rather then trying to write the code myself and save the
images myself, I am using a second instance of apache running as a
reverse proxy to cache the results;)  Why reinvent the wheel;)

On thought I had was this:

When the server gets the request for the image, if it does need to
downsize it, add it to a queue and simply make the system wait for the
response.  I would actually have to create some type of pool of
processes so that things don't get too back logged.  I am thinking
maybe based on IP address or something so that there is only one
downsizing per browser.  The only issue I have there is what happens
if two browsers request the same image, I am sure there is a way that
once the image is downsized once, it could be sent to both browsers,
but this is starting to get really complex.  I am really looking for
simplicity.  Speed is important, but this is really only a very small
piece of what I am doing.

Right now, the worst and very much extreme case is 100 viewing
stations (browsers) having access.  Normal is going to be between 4
and 20 viewing stations.

Sam