httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@gmail.com>
Subject apache module or CGI
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:01:55 GMT
I am working on a image kiosk system.  One of the things that needs to
happen is downsizing images.  Initially this down sizing was happening
in the GUI part of the program.  I have now modified things so that it
is done real time by the PHP code.  The problem is that the downsizing
is taking much longer in PHP then it did in the GUI (C#).  I am
thumbnail images (up to 16MB source images) and creating web page
style images ( 900x600).

I am looking for options to speed things up.  My first thought is to
keep it simple and write a CGI program in C++ (a language I know and
love), but I am a little concerned about the startup cost of calling
CGI.  When there are up to 100 different browsers hitting the server,
will there be any big speed benefits to developing an apache module
rather then CGI?  I do get the impression that there is quite a bit of
framework code to write in doing apache modules, so I am also thinking
that I might want to look at FastCGI.

What is the best approach?  Oh, is FastCGI just an apache thing or
will FastCGI programs work with other servers?

Sam