httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New to module development
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:02:24 GMT

On Mar 14, 2007, at 10:43 PM, Souramita Sen wrote:

> One small doubt. httpd version installed in my system is 2.2 and
> the latest
> version of httpd-devel i got is also 2.2.
> But latest version of apr-devel(2.0) and apr-util-devel(0.9) are
> not in sync
> with corresponsing httpd version. Is there any compatibility issue
> here? Do I
> need to have a older version of apache server installed for that
> reason?

APR is versioned independently from httpd:

httpd 2.0.x works with APR 0.9.x
httpd 2.2.x works with APR 1.2.x

The version number for APR-Util is the same as for APR. When I
compile httpd trunk, I use the trunk of APR and APR-Util.

Generally, if you work with RPMs you should look at which main
packages (httpd, apr, apr-util) you have installed, and install the
corresponding -devel packages with the same versions when you need
the header files and the static libraries for development purposes.

Perhaps the Apache 2.x development RPM includes APR headers? Look for
apr.h to see if this is the case.  If I recall correctly, the Apache
RPMs don't actually split out APR from httpd, which makes it harder
to install Subversion on a Red Hat machine.

We at apache.org do not have a clear view of what goes into vendors'
RPMs or packages.  You are probably better off staying with the RPM
packages your vendor offers rather than just rounding something up on
rpmfind.

In any case, if you're doing module development, you might consider
building your own httpd so you have finer control over what it
contains (like CFLAGS="-O0 -DDEBUG" so your module as well as the
server are built with debug symbols).

S.