httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wortham" <djwort...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: load data at server startup - is ap_hook_post_config() the right place?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:39:06 GMT
Daniel,
    AFAIK, "mutex" refers to mutual exclusion.  It is commonly referred to
in relation to multi-threading but can apply to an inter-process scheme
too.  I would assume that only one thread of one (child) process can access
a given resource at a given time, but you should refer to the documentation
of any code you use for those specifics.  I'm sorry, but I don't have any
personal experience with mutex and the APR libs.

   Are you talking about adjusting your Apache child/thread setup for
development or are you targeting your module to only Apache installations
with specific configuration (i.e. single-thread mode)?
If you are worried about the size of a child process' server_config_struct,
you could just program it to take a lot of room in the server_config_struct
and recommend that Apache be configured for only one child-process.  I would
recommend against it, but it doesn't seem like a terrible idea.  There will
probably be significant performance hits on certain OSes/Apache-deployments
(*NIX) and less on others (likely WinNT since I believe it defaults to a
single-child process with a large thread-count).

   Also, what are you using this giant list of URIs for?  There may be a
more efficient way of distributing the processing load (and, therefore,
speeding up the overall Apache response time).  If I read your first post to
this list correctly, you are using a table (as in apr_table_*, a DB table,
or other?) with a large number of URLs.  You aren't walking through a
sequential list of URLs in apr_tables are you?  Are the "URI"s you're
storing full URIs, domain names, or MXs?  Perhaps you could use some help
with your overall design of the module (or maybe there's an existing module
that does what you want).

Regards,
Dave

--