httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wortham" <djwort...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: load data at server startup - is ap_hook_post_config() the right place?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:34:56 GMT
Daniel,
   I believe (I am a module programmer with only novice Apache API
experience) that there are quite a few server configs created.

   From my experiments with my module, there appear to be at least two
running all the time (what appears to be a "global" server config and one
server config for every virtualhost defined in httpd.conf and other config
files).

   Also, I would guess that each child process has their own copy of the
server configs.
I believe this because every time a server_config_merge function is called,
the server config is edited.
The server_config_merge function is run at server startup (based on
httpd.conf settings) and again at the beginning of a request (when .htaccess
files are parsed... although I am not sure why).
AFAIK, every time a "variable" in the parent process is written to by a
child process, the child process is given a copy of the parent's variable
and only that copy (in the child process) is edited.
By that logic, I would think that not only do you potentially get one
server_config struct per (child process which writes to the server config),
but each server_config_struct is independently modified by each child
process (on potentially different).

Maybe this page can shed some light on your questions:
http://www.fmc-modeling.org/projects/apache/html/3_3Extending_Apache.html

Regards,
Dave

--