httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wortham" <djwort...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions on modules to provide cache functions for Apache
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:23:13 GMT
Erica,

I would follow Joachim's recommendation to:
You may want to use Firefox with the LiveHttpHeaders Plugin to look at
the headers, that are actually exchanged (or are you already doing
that).

My coworker informs me that PHP automatically updates the "last updated"
header line (to the current time).  IIRC, you need to set the headers first
thing in your PHP script otherwise PHP will set headers first.  If PHP sends
the header line first, you may be sending two conflicting lines (and
mod_cache will likely only read/process one of them).  If anything is echoed
before a header statement, you will probably not see that particular header
line in the output.  LiveHTTPHeaders will allow you to verify the
"Last-Updated" header line (and any other necessary header lines).

Also, how do you know that the response XML is not being served by
mod_cache?  Are you looking at logfiles, header data, or something else?
This is important in us being able to help you resolve this issue.

One sure-fire way to know if it is a configuration/directory issue is to set
the following directive:
CacheIgnoreCacheControl On

This directive should absolutely force every file in that
Directory/File/Location tag in your httpd.conf to force caching (no matter
what the headers read).  If you can't get that to work, I would look into
your mod_cache config.  Also, don't forget to restart your httpd process
after any changes to httpd (probably not necessary for changes to .htaccess
files).

Regards,
Dave