httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: manifest embedding issue?
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:53:51 GMT
Issac Goldstand wrote:
> Do yourself a favor, and use VC6.  Honestly, I've used 2003 also without
> problems here, but 2005 gives headaches (though hopefully one of the
> fixes to the bleeding edge apxs on win32 fixes that).

The *only* issue I have against 2003 is the fact that you cannot create
.mak files for command-line builds from their .vcproj files.  The only
two reasons that Apache 2.2 is still *compiled* with VC6 is that MSVCRT
is still strongly supported (as an intregal part of all modern Windows OS)
and that ActiveState built Perl 5.8.x family with VC6 (python being
delivered using VC2003 by ActiveState).  Just trying to keep things less
painful for module users.

I seriously doubt I'd build Apache 2.4 binaries with VC2005 based on the
state of affairs today.  Watch bugtraq for progress on that.  I'd likely
pick up VC2003 when ActiveState has adopted it for several of their
language distributions.

I'm not endorsing ActiveState, just observing that it's one of several
straightforward solutions for Windows users, and that's the point of
having windows binaries.