httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: manifest embedding issue?
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:48:22 GMT
Sam Carleton wrote:
> I know that as of VS200? (2 or 3) that Microsoft started this whole
> manifest thing.  It is also my understanding that, for C/C++ apps, it
> can be turned off.  What exactly is the issue?  Considering it seems
> most of you are *NIX developers, maybe this is something I can dig
> into and find a solution, maybe not;)

Nope - as of 2005 it's an explicit thing.  The VC 2005 clibs are soley
side by side assemblies, and you must have a manifest which refers to them.
It doesn't have to be embedded, but most folks who both compile and package
such things would rather fight with embedding than fight with distributing
.manifest files.

MS has expressed that they've woken up w.r.t. the nonsense they created
by corrupting PSDK-dependent projects in the VC Express product, and the
nonsense they created in the deprecation of stdc/posix APIs.  They have
disavowed the disaster they've created in 64 bit default time_t (claiming
the validation of dates after Y3000 is the programmers issue?)  So I'm
far from convinced that 2005 is worth the C-language communities' time
nor respect.

MS's primary goal is primacy, be it forcing users into their API, their
language extensions, their OS.  Sometimes, the best answer is a dash of
bubble gum and bailing wire to get around the mess they create, and
sometimes it's to ignore their drivel as irrelevant

View raw message