httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: how to get started?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 02:14:51 GMT
1. If your module will ONLY ever be a handler that runs on windows,
   ISAPI (mod_isapi) might be a better choice.  Certainly better than
   fastcgi for windows-specific apps.  (FastCGI is fast because of fork()
   which windows doesn't support).

2. If you want a windows module, and want to build with apxs, you can.
   See http://archive.apache.org/dist/perl/win32-bin/apxs_win32-0.3.readme
   and http://archive.apache.org/dist/perl/win32-bin/apxs_win32-0.3.tar.gz
   (we are revisiting this behind the scenes right now to make the simplest
   possible subset a default part of the windows build.)

3. You can always build from a project as well.  Simple examples can be
   found in the httpd sources, such as mod_example.dsp.  Building out-of
   the httpd tree, you'll have to point your project at the includes for
   httpd and apr (cpp /I flags) and libhttpd.lib (to bind to libhttpd.dll),
   plus for apache 2.0 - to libapr.lib and libaprutil.dll, or for apache 2.2
   point to libapr-1.lib and libaprutil-1.lib.

   (In Apache 2.2 we adopted the newest APR libraries.  The old ones are
   numbered 0.9.x but there's no -0 suffix to their .lib names.  They are
   NOT compatible.)

Manifests suck (VS2005 sucks for a number of reasons, but manifests are
chief amongst the reasons.)  You will have to bind your VC2005's .dll
(call it an .so, call it a .dll, it really doesn't matter) to the emitted
.manifest file or it won't have a C Runtime.

Honest, VC6 will give you the fewest headaches.

Bill