httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: apache module or CGI
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:15:09 GMT
Sam Carleton wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> You are correct, I am very much at home in C/C++.  Other then C#,
> other languages are much less comfortable for me;)  It looks like
> there is a lot of infrastructure code that is needed when implementing
> an apache handler module and a whole new "framework" to learn.  Is the
> work worth it compared to CGI (maybe FastCGI) for what I am doing?
> That is the million dollar question I am seeking;)
>
> Sam

I think it is worth it to learn the new frame work.  I restore cars, and
knowing what happens under the hood makes it much easier to handle
issues - e.g. troubleshooting (or building one from scratch in future
goals).  I suggest that if you are going to spend any time at all with
the finished product in support capacities, you need to understand your
system.  If you are going to implement new modules, then yes, it is well
worth your time placing this mechanism into a new framework.

And, though I agree that dynamically generating an image on a 404 may
not have been the original thought process of the implementation, the
implementation allows exactly that - a 404 can generate an image that
has "not found" if necessary - or provide an image stored in a
database.  I do not concur that the mechanism is a "bad idea".  It's
just "different".  (But it does work - I've recently pulled a demo 404
script out of production [when I switched from Apache 2.0 to 2.2 on a
BSD server] that prints business card mock-ups on the fly when the
requested URI is for a .gif file that does not exist - mine didn't save
it to the directory if any new clients request the same image for caching.)

Joe
--
Joseph Lewis <http://sharktooth.org/>