httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: apache module or CGI
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:09:17 GMT
Sam Carleton wrote:
> I am working on a image kiosk system.  One of the things that needs to
> happen is downsizing images.  Initially this down sizing was happening
> in the GUI part of the program.  I have now modified things so that it
> is done real time by the PHP code.  The problem is that the downsizing
> is taking much longer in PHP then it did in the GUI (C#).  I am
> thumbnail images (up to 16MB source images) and creating web page
> style images ( 900x600).

PHP is overkill for something like that.  May I suggest a CGI perl
script using Image::Magick to scale images?  It is very similar to C,
but is a scripted language (allowing "watermarks" on images, too!)

> I am looking for options to speed things up.  My first thought is to
> keep it simple and write a CGI program in C++ (a language I know and
> love), but I am a little concerned about the startup cost of calling
> CGI.  When there are up to 100 different browsers hitting the server,
> will there be any big speed benefits to developing an apache module
> rather then CGI?  I do get the impression that there is quite a bit of
> framework code to write in doing apache modules, so I am also thinking
> that I might want to look at FastCGI.

If performance is an issue, consider mod_perl along with it.  It keeps
the CGI in memory to eek out a bit more performance.  Otherwise, you can
use C to create a binary and link it statically with the ImageMagick
libraries.  (IM seems to be most efficient).  Google is your friend here!

--
Joseph Lewis <http://sharktooth.org/>