httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Drew Bertola <>
Subject Re: New to module development
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:49:30 GMT
Souramita Sen wrote:
> While installing Fedora core I might have missed to install the following
> rpms.
> So from i have installed httpd-devel, apr-devel and
> apr-util-devel as mentioned by Joe and Drew.

Side note: use "yum" on fedora.  It makes life much easier.  It will
pull in any dependencies automatically and also, it verifies the gpg
signature.  It will also pull in the latest packages available, and keep
you updated with security releases, bug releases, and feature enhancements.

$ yum update
$ yum list apr*
$ yum install apr-devel apr-util-devel

Both update and install will prompt you for a y/N once it displays it's

> One small doubt. httpd version installed in my system is 2.2 and the latest
> version of httpd-devel i got is also 2.2.
> But latest version of apr-devel(2.0) and apr-util-devel(0.9) are not in sync
> with corresponsing httpd version. Is there any compatibility issue here? Do I
> need to have a older version of apache server installed for that reason?

They don't need to be the same, but there's much newer packages for
apr-util (not sure where you got apr-devel-2.0?).

Here's what I have on my updated workstation:

$ yum list apr* httpd*
Setting up repositories
Installed Packages
apr.i386                            1.2.7-10               installed
apr-debuginfo.i386                  1.2.7-10               installed
apr-devel.i386                      1.2.7-10               installed
apr-util.i386                       1.2.8-1.fc6            installed
apr-util-debuginfo.i386             1.2.8-1.fc6            installed
apr-util-devel.i386                 1.2.8-1.fc6            installed
httpd.i386                          2.2.3-5                installed
httpd-debuginfo.i386                2.2.3-5                installed
httpd-devel.i386                    2.2.3-5                installed
Available Packages
httpd-manual.i386                   2.2.3-5                core

> And I did not get any links in google, what purpose do apr-devel and
> apr-util-devel solve mainly?

$ yum info apr-devel
Name   : apr-devel
Arch   : i386
Version: 1.2.7
Release: 10
Size   : 4.4 M
Repo   : installed

This package provides the support files which can be used to
build applications using the APR library.  The mission of the
Apache Portable Runtime (APR) is to provide a free library of
C data structures and routines.

> I could successfully create the module(apxs -g -n foo). But after all
> required rpms are installed still I get the following error while compiling,
> activating the module by apxs:
> [root@localhost apachemodules]# apxs -c -i -a first
> apxs:Error: /usr/bin/apr-1-config not found!.
> (PS: either apr-devel or apr-util-devel installs apr-config not apr-1-config,
> so the problem occurs)

apr-devel provides apr-1-config (should be in /usr/bin)

View raw message