httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Erica Zhang <erica...@cs.ubc.ca>
Subject Questions on modules to provide cache functions for Apache
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 06:53:20 GMT
Hi,

I want to develop a filter module to cache responses for XMLHttp
requests for Apache. Before that, I have tried to configure using
mod_cache. I found that it could not be used to cache responses for
XMLHttp requests. However, I am not sure about this, because I am new to
web applications. So before beginning to develop a new module to do this
function, I want to make sure that. Is there some expert tell me about
your idea on this topic or experiences ?

I tried to give more details below:

For mod_cache, I use httpd.conf to configure it:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 10000
<IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
    ThreadsPerChild 1900
    MaxRequestsPerChild 10000
</IfModule>

LoadModule cache_module modules/mod_cache.so

<IfModule mod_cache.c>
    CacheForceCompletion 100
    CacheDefaultEXPire 3600
    CacheMaxExpire 86400
    CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
    LoadModule disk_cache_module modules/mod_disk_cache.so

    <IfModule mod_disk_cache.c>
        CacheEnable disk /
        CacheRoot c:/cacheroot
        CacheSize 327680
        CacheDirLength 4
        CacheDirLevels 5
        CacheGcInterval 4
    </IfModule>

    #LoadModule mem_cache_module modules/mod_mem_cache.so
    <IfModule mod_mem_cache.c>
        CacheEnable mem /
        MCacheSize 8192
        MCacheMaxObjectCount 10000
        MCacheMinObjectSize 1
        MCacheMaxObjectSize 51200
    </IfModule>
</IfModule>

On client, I use ajax technology and XMLHttpRequest  and on server, I
use php script.
header("Cache-Control: public"); // HTTP/1.1
header("Expires: " .gmdate ("D, d M Y H:i:s", time() + 60 * 10). " GMT");
header( "Last-Modified: " .gmdate( 'D, d M Y H:i:s' ). " GMT" );
echo $response;
I think apache cache should catch my response produced by PHP. Until
now, I do not think there is something wrong in my code or
configuration. So I conclude that mod_cache could not catch the

Regards,

Erica