httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ralf Mattes ...@seid-online.de>
Subject Re: a thanks and C++ new overloading
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:52:51 GMT
On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 10:39 -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Ralf Mattes <rm@seid-online.de> wrote:
>
> > Well, please consider all I say with a certain amount of doubt since I'm
> > not a C++ developer (only did one C++ module, the rest was plain C) and
> > favor C (or Obj. C) over C++,
>
> Interesting, Are you doing large projects in C?  I know both well and
> simply cannot imagine developing a large system in C.

Depends on what you call 'large'. I'm on Unix only and there is a
certain tendency to keep things small ans simple ... :-)
So - somehow most of my projects end up as small extensions, modules or
plugins. I have to confess that I do the really large projects in other
languages (Common Lisp if you care to ask) or often in so-called
scripting languages (that's what my customers often require since I'm
doing Web-related programming and their tech. people only program in the
dreaded P/R languages).

>  I know Apache
> is all in C, but man, I really like my objects;)  Obj. C does sound
> interesting, can you recommend any good sites that can enlighten me
> more about the subject?

Oh, my bookmarks for Obj.C are on my Mac (other office) but with a bit
Google help you should find plenty. BTW, one _can_ do OOp in C as well -
at least that's what the Gnome project tries to do.  For me, C++ is just
a monster - C raped and transmogrified. Iff I need a solid OO language
with static typing I'd go for Objective CAML - but that's hard to sell
to customers.

> > but: Since you seem to like the Apache way
> > why not use it for the GUI as well. The memory pooling and eveything
> > prefixed with 'apr_' is actually part of the Apache Portable Runtime
> > which can be used independent from the Apache webserver (Subversion is a
> > prominent example for such a project). You just need to decide whether
> > memory pools[1] are a good fit for your GUI application.
>
> Why not?  Because I had not stop to make the obvious connection;)
>

> > [1] For another nice MPS have a look at:
> > http://www.ravenbrook.com/project/mps/doc/2002-01-30/ismm2002-paper/ismm2002.html
>
> yea, the whole memory management thing is a huge can or worms, nice to
> know that there is the above MPS and apache's to pick from.

Seems like the rest of the world is picking Garbage Collection up -
Apple seems to go the same road with Objective C (that always had
interesting memory management concepts).

 Cheers, RalfD