httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ralf Mattes ...@seid-online.de>
Subject Re: apache module or CGI
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:00:04 GMT
On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 12:35 -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> On 3/26/07, Ralf Mattes <rm@seid-online.de> wrote:
>
> > No -- please don't do that. You are terribly abusing the protocol.
> > An "Error Document" is just this - an indication of what went wrong.
> > The client will still receive a 404 status, and, expecting an _image_,
> > just display the dreaded broken image icon ...
> >
> > Iff you want to go this road you must redirect to a handler that can
> > modify the status.
>
> Ok, sounds like a good sound argument to me NOT to go down that road, thanks!
>
> > BTW, with HTTP/1.1 and chunked encoding there shouldn't be any problem
> > generating the image on the fly and then storing it in the cache.
> > And there _are_ response status that indicate a lengthy content
> > generation ...
>
> Like I said, web development is not my expertise, can you point me in
> the right direction to learn more about these response status?

The standard-conforming status code would most likely be 102 (but that
is only defined in the WebDAV extension of the standard). There's plenty
of google-able info about the HTTP protocol so i won't repeat here.
Start with  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes
and find your way through the web ;-)

 HTH RalfD