httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Danie Qian" <dan...@bestningning.com>
Subject Re: load data at server startup - is ap_hook_post_config() the right place?
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:28:14 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Kew" <nick@webthing.com>
To: <modules-dev@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: load data at server startup - is ap_hook_post_config() the
right place?

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:21:39 -0400
> "Danie Qian" <daniel@bestningning.com> wrote:
>
>>  I am new to module development but I want to develop a module so I
>> can manage the uri of the thousand of sites more efficiently. What I
>> want is to load a mysql table data into the memory of Apache server
>> at its startup stage for fast processing of requests later.
>
> 1. Have you seen mod_vhost_dbi?

I need to combine some information from an external configuration file with
those from mysql. Can this module do the non-sql part too?

> 2. The normal way to access mysql is through mod_dbd.

This would be ideal for my situation. However, as I am still new in module
development it doesnt look intuitive to me right now after skimming through
chapter 11 of your new book.

> Having said that, it's not clear whether either of those
> is actually relevant to you.
>
>> Mysql
>> database access information will be set with configuration
>> directives. My question is: 1. Is ap_hook_post_config(apr_pool_t *p,
>> apr_pool_t *plog, apr_pool_t *ptemp, server_rec *s)  the right place
>> to load the table?
>
> Yes, probably.
>
> 2. If it is, how can the hook functions access the
>> data after it is loaded presumably in apr_pool_t *p?
>
> Store it on your module's server config.

the server_rec doesnt have a pool field. which field can I use to store the
data? Does every child process have an instance of this structure instead of
the parent process?

Thanks,
Daniel

Does