httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wortham" <djwort...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merge function not called when I would expect it to
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 01:05:09 GMT
I think I was able to answer my own question(s).

This link got me curious:
http://www.f-m-c.org/projects/apache/html/3_3Extending_Apache.html

I read what seemed to say that the merging of directories was done at the
beginning of the handling of a request.  I re-worked my debug code to output
to a logfile rather than STDERR (because STDERR is lost once the child
processes are created... and is therefore not useful for debugging after
startup).

In fact, it appears that dir_cfgs are stored by the parent process (and
given to the child processes when those are created).  Merging of dir_cfgs
appears to happen at the beginning of a response handling.  This seems to
explain how .htaccess files can be read both at server startup and at the
beginning of every request.

It appears that my merge function works now.

Dave