httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From John David Duncan <...@mysql.com>
Subject Re: Other languages than C
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:40:07 GMT
Hi,

The requirements you state here are rather tough.

It is not terribly difficult to write an Apache module in C++.  The key
data structures need to be declared with external "C" linkage, and the
Apache API relies heavily on void pointers, for which the C++ compiler
requires casts.  Of course C++ was designed to be compatible with C
from the point of view of the linker and the ABI; I cannot think of
any functional languages (like R for statistics) that have such a
C-compatible design.

The most powerful non-C interface into Apache is mod_perl.  Perl code is
interpreted to byte code and can run inside the web server at near-
native
speed, mod_perl exposes Apache's complete C API, and yet Perl is also a
very flexible high-level language that invites many different
programming
styles.

JD