httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephan B. Nedregaard" <stephan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Other languages than C
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:06:14 GMT

On Jan 5, 2007, at 11:53 PM, Joachim Zobel wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 05.01.2007, 23:17 +0100 schrieb Stephan B. Nedregaard:
>> It might help if you told the list what you're looking for -- what
>> you want to accomplish with your module. For writing native Apache
>> modules, you can't really compete with C.
>
> Thats what I want. Writing native apache modules in a language less
> tedious than C.

The core of the issue is that Apache isn't OO and that it is
difficult to interact in an OO way with software that isn't written
to be object oriented. ModPerl tries to do this somewhat, and I've
heard of attempts to create a C++ object oriented wrapper around the
Apache APIs, but in the end you do have to interface with C.

I'd recommend writing your own wrappers if you're planning on doing
much OO work with Apache modules. Personally, I just use non-OO C for
that stuff. Not because I like it, but because that's what works best
with the Apache server.