httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephan B. Nedregaard" <stephan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Other languages than C
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:17:13 GMT

On Jan 5, 2007, at 11:07 PM, Joachim Zobel wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 05.01.2007, 13:40 -0800 schrieb John David Duncan:
>> The most powerful non-C interface into Apache is mod_perl.  Perl
>> code is
>> interpreted to byte code and can run inside the web server at near-
>> native
>> speed, mod_perl exposes Apache's complete C API, and yet Perl is
>> also a
>> very flexible high-level language that invites many different
>> programming
>> styles.
>
> The problem with mod_perl is the memory footprint. It is not
> multiplatform in the library sense. You probably would not want to
> use a
> perl module from e.g. python because of that.

It might help if you told the list what you're looking for -- what
you want to accomplish with your module. For writing native Apache
modules, you can't really compete with C. As developers, we sometimes
have to just program to the platform we intend to support. Mod_perl
is a great interface to the C APIs and is highly recommended for
lightweight stuff.

If you want to use Python, Ruby etc., there are similar modules for
these languages, though not as efficient.

S.