httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: child pid 4687 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:05:12 GMT
Fang Max wrote:
> Hi all ,
> I am now developing a Filter used to parse html file in my group .
> The mistake "child pid 4687 exit signal  Segmentation fault (11) "
> always turn out in error log.is there any one could tell me what that
> exact mean
It means that the child process of apache had a segmentation fault.
> when it could happen
It happens when pointers are used in a bad way, most often.  There are
other ways to get one, but odds are you have a pointer (e.g. a NULL
pointer) that isn't properly checked.
> and If there is a elegant instace to depend with ,thanks
I'm not sure what you mean.

Just to debug it : Start apache in a single process mode (apache2ctl -X)
and attach a debugger to the process (e.g. gdb in Linux).  When the segv
occurs, get the backtrace ("bt" in gdb) to see what function was where.
That should give you an idea of which function you have used improperly
(or if you wrote the function, you at least know where to start looking
- ap*log*error functions can help isolate it to a specific line of code.)

Joe