httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Server Restarts
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 04:00:20 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:37:52 -0700
"David Wortham" <djwortham@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I know Nick or one of the other frequent responders mentioned
> something about a double server-startup.  Does anyone have (or know
> of) documentation on this effect?

The book discusses it rather briefly.  But I suspect your problem
lies elsewhere.

  I believe I understand the
> relationships between the server process, the child processes and the
> cprocess threads.
>
> It seems like I always have to restart one extra time (first restart
> is always a dud... as if the server daemon was not running) after
> re-compiling the module (with apxs).

Restart isn't really applicable when the binary has changed (as when
you recompile a module).  You have to stop and start.  What you're
seeing is (probably) a segfault on the first restart.

>	  Recently, I get whitescreens on
> the second restart and now have to restart a total of 3 times after
> every re-compile (also requires me to restart once after the initial
> daemon startup).

Hmmm, that's not usual.  Could be something isn't exiting cleanly
and is leaving the system in a problematic state.

>	  This won't make sysadmins very happy to use my
> module if I require them to restart their webserver twice every time
> they need to reload it.

Sysadmins aren't generally going to be working with a module that
changes on every restart.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/