httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: diagram of server phases
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:17:47 GMT
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:25:32 -0800
"Brian McQueen" <mcqueenorama@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was surprised to discover that the translate_name handler goes
> before the header_parser handler.  This made it clear to me that I'm
> really not sure about what all of the standard hooks are or in what
> order they are called.  I know the old camel book has a pretty
> diagram, but its way out-of-date.

The header-parser is a general-purpose hook.  It comes after
translate_name and map_to_storage so that it'll run when
per-directory config (including applicable .htaccess) is
in effect.

If you want to scan headers earlier, ignore the name and use
a post_read_request hook.

> Maybe there is a way to get this by scanning through the headers or
> through the source code?  How would I determine the order?

There is a page somewhere in the developer docs @apache.org
that gives the order of hooks.  There's also an element of
legacy from Apache 1's less flexible architecture.

> Does anyone know if this information is available?
>
> Nick, will it be in your book?

Chapter 6 deals with the request processing cycle and
metadata handling, and includes the order of standard
hooks with (brief) explanations and examples.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/