httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Compiling apache 1.3 with Visual Studio 2005: problems
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:44:39 GMT
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:24:59 +0530
"Manish Chakravarty" <manishchaks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I downloaded the apache 1.3.37 sources from the website.
> I converted the .dsp and .dsw to Visual Studio 2007 format (with the
> given tools)
>
> I am unable to compile apache with Visual Studio 2005.
> The same code, however, compiles with Visual Studio 2003.
>
> Why does the Apache source code not compile with Visual Studio 2005?

First, Apache 1.3 is a 1998 release that has been obsolete since 2002.
If it doesn't build with a new compiler, noone is likely to be
interested in taking the trouble to update it.

Second, all Apache 1.x is a UNIX-based server, whose porting to
other platforms - particularly Windows - was always hackish.
It worked on windows, but noone ever claimed it worked well.
Proper cross-platform support was one of the changes in Apache 2.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/