httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic registration of a module in Apache 2.X?
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:43:41 GMT
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:27:23 +0200
"Bartov, Asaf" <Asaf_Bartov@bmc.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to dynamically register a new module (given some
> mod_moose.so) in a *running* httpd process, to get it to work
> *without* writing to the config file or restarting the httpd process?
> Essentially, to inject a module into a running httpd process, given
> appropriate, even root, permissions.

Not off-the-shelf, but there are third-party modules that'll
load and unload .so s in a running server.  Of course it's a
big security issue.  And, also for security reasons, you can't
do everything a module can do: the running server has dropped
the system privileges it had at startup.

> As far as I can tell, this is not possible.  I'm asking after
> implementing this on Microsoft's IIS, where one can change the
>so-called
> "metabase" and have the changes take effect immediately.

IIS had Nimda, codered, et al.  Apache, with three times IIS's
market share, didn't.  Apache will let you shoot yourself in the
foot, but unlike IIS (or PHP) it won't hand a loaded gun with no
safety cache to an admin who has no clue about using it.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/