httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Shared memory
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 02:46:04 GMT
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 23:11:40 +0000
"Christiaan Lamprecht" <christiaanwork@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >>If you never write to pconf, then all child processes will continue
> >>to share the same, single copy.  Until one writes to it, potentially
> >>chewing up alot of memory if there are many processes and many small
> >>changes in that pool.  That's why I say touching the global pools
> >>such as pconf is just a bad idea.
>
> Currently I'm using the server config but allocating my own memory
> (i.e. non-APR) So this should work? Albeit potentially playing with
> fire.

There's nothing wrong with allocating your own memory.  But neither
is it necessary for any reason related to the passage you quote:
your module can create its own pool from pchild in a child_init
hook and use that.

In either case, it's up to you to manage it.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/