httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Shared memory
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:50:23 GMT
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:39:12 +0000
"Christiaan Lamprecht" <christiaanwork@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >On 11/22/06, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
> > You can use the server config for that.  You already know you need
> > the mutex; you'll also need to consider the lifetime of what's being
> > stored and avoid a memory (or similar resource) leak.  If your
> > memory is shared by all processes, it gets more complex.
>
> More complex due to potential memory leaks, use of appropriate mutex's
> or something else?

IPC adds complexity, and is of course slower than working
within-process.  You'll need an shm segment, or something more
persistent like a DBM.

> > My Chapter 4 has some examples covering a couple of scenarios.
>
> Anywhere I can look before the book is released?

I asked the publisher about that just a few days ago.  Apparently
we're too near to release for them to think offering previews is
worthwhile.  I'm contemplating doing something off my own bat:
maybe accepting orders myself, and sending relevant PDFs in advance,
then the book when it's available.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/