httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian McQueen" <mcqueenor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dropping a connection abruptly
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:25:45 GMT
That's interesting, and ripe for exploitation!  Thanks for adding your
comments.  I'm finding that I can now get the connection to shutdown
promptly by doing several things, probably not all of them are
required or even right, but at this point I am just trying to get the
behaviour I need.  I'll fix the general design after I better
understand the solution.  So far I've taken things from mod_ssl, and
other comments and now I do get the socket to close, quite promptly.
I've done:

1) a input filter that creates an eos bucket and passes it on as the brigade
2) mark the connection as aborted
3) set keepalive to AP_CONN_CLOSE
4) flush the req
5) flush the connection
6) finalize the protocol
7) discard the request body

I bet the order of these isn't quite right, but this batch of things
shuts it down promptly upon return.

I thought I'd add something about why this entire procedure is bad.
In addition to the HTTP compliance issue that I mentioned before,
fiddling with the socket is bad because module writers should assume
they are writing a module that can get along with other unspecifed
modules.  Having a module get to the socket and mess with the
connection will alter the basic environment that module writers
assume.  Modules that follow may not be designed to run well with a
dead socket.  It is usually not part of a module writer's concern.