httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: server config apr_table_t
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 07:03:07 GMT
On Wednesday 11 October 2006 00:55, David Wortham wrote:
> On 10/10/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> > You are responsible for mutexing; and remember unless you alloc before
> > fork and never modify the data, it's per-process private.
>
> Is this to say that using a subpool of a "s->process->pool" pool, what
> mutations made by one child process won't be seen by other child
> processes?

Yes (wrowe already replied to that).  Bear in mind that you have both
multiple processes and multiple threads to deal with.

> Right now, I have a module (based roughly off of mod_evasive 2.0 for
> website RBLing and caching of recent RBL lookups).  I'm using a file
> for caching, but I would like to have my lookups stored in
> parent-process memory so that each child process does not have to sync
> to the file and keep its own lookup hashtable.

My first thought on that task is to use something like dnscache,
rather than reinventing that wheel.  IIRC someone's done that already,
but I don't recollect the details.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674