httpd-mbox-dev mailing list archives

From Maxime Petazzoni <maxime.petazz...@bulix.org>
Subject Re: About mod_mbox future improvements
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:17:02 GMT
Hi,

> I am still worried about the portability of client-side processing.
> Between all the versions of all the browsers, doing complicated
> things seems to be hit and miss to me.

So are we. As I said, only Gecko based browser can handle it, and I
don't believe it's good to narrow the users range like this.

> With an XSLT Cache, which mod_transform has, it can render very
> quickly.  I am a fan of Server-side processing for XSLT.

Ok, I'll try to set up mod_transform with the XSLT Cache tonight on my
local mod_mbox installation and see how all this stuff works.

> We still need to make a decision as a group, do we want XSLT?
> Do we want an alternative such as ClearSilver templates?
> Do we just want 'better' HTML and CSS?

According to me, XML+XSLT is the most evolutive solution. Except from
the wanted AJAX stuff, we could also easily build advanced XUL
applications on top of this XML output (just an idea, though).

> I believe that since the work is already in progress for XSLT, that
> makes it a good choice for now.  The decision on server-side vs
> client-side is interesting, and perhaps we can meet some middle
> ground, but for now, I think we should pursue server-side
> processing.

/me's diving into server-side processing :)

- Sam
--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.