httpd-mbox-dev mailing list archives

From Maxime Petazzoni <maxime.petazz...@bulix.org>
Subject Re: spam via mail-archives.apache.org?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:46:52 GMT
Hi,

> We've made the decision in the past not to obfuscate because the
> spammers already de-obfuscate everything.  If you don't want the
> address publicly available, don't send an email to a public mailing
> list.  -- justin

The obfuscation method I proposed if of course not absolute. It should
also be run on the body of the message (espacially for quotations and
signatures), but the method used here is absolutely un-de-obfuscable
(we can say that?) since it *deletes* information from the email
address. Of course, human archive readers can't fetch the email
address of a poster, but he has his name (enough to fetch information
somewhere else on the Internet). But at least, the mod_mbox archive
won't have generate spam, and that is what we want.

My 2 ยข. I've made a small patch to protect the From: field, I know
it's not perfect, but it's a good start.

- Sam

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.