httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Christophe JAILLET <christophe.jail...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: HTML entities
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2018 23:50:08 GMT
Le 25/09/2018 à 22:08, Christophe JAILLET a écrit :
> Le 25/09/2018 à 22:04, Christophe JAILLET a écrit :

>>> I have Java 8 only (OpenJDK 1.8.0_181-b15).  Yes, the man pages are
>>> definitely unusable when composed entirely of HTML entities ;)
>>>
>>> What is expected in the manual/*.html.XX files, entities or ISO-8859-1
>>> characters?  AFAICT either should be fine, the ISO-8859-1 characters
>>> look correct to me everywhere I checked, and the HTML files have
>> Agreed, any is good to me as far as it is compliant with standards.
>>> />
>>>
>>> so I don't see why we can't use ISO-8859-1 characters there?
>>
>>> Can we fudge build.sh to fail with Java 9 if that is what is breaking
>>> everything at the moment, and rely on people with Java 8 to regenerate
>>> the docs?
>> Un-modified build.sh should break with java 9+; because of the
>> Xbootclasspath option that has been removed.
>> This should be good enough (IMHO) to avoid incorrect file generation.
>> This prevents to build the doc, but at least it prevent from building
>> it wrong. :)
>>
>> What I don't understand (and would like to), is why the behavior has
>> changed between java 8 and 9.
>>
>>> Regards, Joe
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANJ-2614
>
> looks related.
>

> CJ

I've tried to use SaxonHE9-8-0-14J in place of Xalan.
Tested with Java 9, it generates some errors and the build process
breaks on some files, but as far as I've seen, html.fr files and man
pages look fine (i.e. no entities in html and expected ISO-8859-1
characters in the output, and readable man pages)

Errors and breakages need investigation, but moving from the
(unmaintained) Xalan to the active Saxon HE (Home Edition, Open Source,
Mozilla Public License version 2.0) could be an option.

CJ