httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "ReleaseStrategyProposal" by EricCovener
Date Thu, 17 May 2018 13:12:06 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "ReleaseStrategyProposal" page has been changed by EricCovener:
https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/ReleaseStrategyProposal

New page:
= release strategy proposal =

== Problems to address ==

 * Instability of stable releases
  * +1: covener
 * Conservatively managed distributions are drifting farther and farther away from HEAD
  * +1: covener

== Things working well ==

 * New modules can get into users' hands pretty easily.
  * +1: covener
 * Few streams to worry about
  * +1: covener
 * Long lifecycle of a release
  * +1: covener

== Proposal 1 ==
This is a WIP. Please feel free to edit if you preserve the spirit, or fork it into a new
proposal if you don't.

The philosophy here is to have 1 or more conservatively managed releases but to also always
have 1 or more
more liberally managed releases where slightly more disruptive things are tolerated. But the
latter
is neither trunk nor a "development" release.

Some things that characterize a more conservatively managed release:

 * Behavior changes tend to be opt-in.
 * Refactoring is limited.
 * New function, new directives, and new modules are acceptable if their enablement doesn't
put the stability of existing function at risk.
   * For example, mod_md on its own would have been OK, but the changes to mod_ssl to accommodate
it would have needed to be (at best) guarded differently.

 1. Establish a litmus test ("rules") for what can go into early maintenance levels of a release

 1. Establish rules for what can go into later maintenance levels of a release
 1. Establish rules for how a major.minor graduates from "early" to "late"
  * What does it mean for the previous 1 or 2 major.minor?
  * We owe special handling to 2.4 because it didn't start this way.
 1. Formally document the above

How this would work over time:
 * 2.6 is released with a few new/small things
 * 2.4 is stabilized
 * 2.6.$small continues to get the kinds of things we're doing in 2.4 today
 * Eventually something big comes along and we do a 2.7 or 2.8
 * 2.6 is stabilized when 2.7/2.8 is released
   * 2.4 sticks around but maybe we pick an EOL. For 2.4, we pick it farther out then we normally
would since the policy is post-GA.

=== Problems ===

 * Do we need to only pick a subset of major.minor's to be eventually-LTS so we don't end
up with different distributions on arbitrary major.minors?  This helps cap the # of streams
in service AND avoids distributions picking different ones and causing more work on all sides.