httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Marion et Christophe JAILLET <christophe.jail...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: Issue building the doc with openjdk 9
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2018 17:57:23 GMT

Le 24/04/2018 à 11:24, Ruediger Pluem a écrit :

> On 04/21/2018 08:36 PM, Marion et Christophe JAILLET wrote:
>> man pages generated by java 8 without Jakarta Oro and without -Xbootclasspath/p look
fine.

>> But the one generated by java 9 and 11 are unusable!
>> So unless fixed, I'm -1 on removing -Xbootclasspath/p because Java 9 and up break
or man page generation.
> I am confused now. For Java 8 I understand that it doesn't matter if we use -Xbootclasspath/p.
> Java 9 doesn't work at all with -Xbootclasspath/p added and the result without is wrong.
> So my conclusion would be: Remove -Xbootclasspath/p and investigate why Java 9 is failing
(might be a bug
> or another option that needs to be set for Java 9).
> Do I miss something?
> Thanks for testing, btw.
>
> Regards
>
> Rüdiger

My point is to leave -Xbootclasspath/p as long as we can't have a
working java 9 version.
This would prevent someone from generating some invalid man files and
commit them (or even release them) if no-one spots it. At first, I
didn't notice the issue with the man page, and apparently Eric neither.
I see it as a guardrail.

Of course, we should investigate, have Java 9 work, and "allow others to
use it", but only WHEN we know it works.

My only concern is to prevent unaware people from silently generating
invalid files.
Testing the Java version and stopping if >= 9 is an option. Leaving
-Xbootclasspath/p does the same, but is is "out of the box" :)

CJ