httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lucien Gentis <lucien.gen...@univ-lorraine.fr>
Subject Re: mod_remoteip.xml
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:16:24 GMT

Le 14/04/2017 à 15:26, Lucien Gentis a écrit :

> Hello Luca,
>
> Apologize for not answering.
>
> I come back next week
>
> Lucien
>

> Le 10/04/2017 à 19:20, Luca Toscano a écrit :
>> Hello Lucien,

>> <lucien.gentis@univ-lorraine.fr <mailto:lucien.gentis@univ-lorraine.fr>>:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     Trunk branch : mod_remoteip.xml file,
>>     <name>RemoteIPProxyProtocolExceptions</name> directive :
>>
>>     "<usage>
>>     directive enables or"
>>
>>     must probably be replaced by :
>>
>>     "<usage>
>>     <directive>RemoteIPProxyProtocolExceptions</directive> directive
>>     enables or"
>>

>> I checked the last pending doc changes and the complete diff is:

>> directive enables or
>> +    disables the reading and handling of the PROXY protocol
>> connection header.
>> +    Sometimes it is desirable to require clients to provide the
>> PROXY header, but
>> +    permit other clients to connect without it. This directive
>> allows a server
>> +    administrator to configure a single host or CIDR range of hosts
>> that may do
>> +    so. This is generally useful for monitoring and administrative
>> traffic to a
>> +    virtual host direct to the server behind the upstream load
>> balancer.</p>
>> +
>> It may need to be explained a bit better but IIUC the paragraph is
>> saying that since RemoteIPProxyProtocol is a on/off switch,
>> RemoteIPProxyProtocolExceptions can be used to fine tune exceptions.

OK, it's actually referencing RemoteIPProxyProtocol directive.

>>     Same file : I'm not quite sure to understand the phrase "This is
>>     generally useful for monitoring and administrative
>>         traffic to a virtual host direct to the server behind the
>>     upstream load
>>         balancer."
>>

>> Definitely not clear, need a bit of rework. Do you have something in
>> mind to fix it?

As far as I understand it, this directive allows to know client real IP
address, and so better analyse a connection stream ; so, this phrase
could be : "This is generally useful for monitoring network stream
between clients and backend servers situated behind a load balancer"