httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Luca Toscano <toscano.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_remoteip.xml
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:20:50 GMT
Hello Lucien,

> Hello,
>
> Trunk branch : mod_remoteip.xml file, <name>RemoteIPProxyProtocolExceptions</name>
> directive :
>
> "<usage>
> enables or"
>
> must probably be replaced by :
>
> "<usage>
> directive enables or"

I checked the last pending doc changes and the complete diff is:

enables or
+    disables the reading and handling of the PROXY protocol connection
header.
+    Sometimes it is desirable to require clients to provide the PROXY
header, but
+    permit other clients to connect without it. This directive allows a
server
+    administrator to configure a single host or CIDR range of hosts that
may do
+    so. This is generally useful for monitoring and administrative traffic
to a
+    virtual host direct to the server behind the upstream load
balancer.</p>
+

It may need to be explained a bit better but IIUC the paragraph is saying
that since RemoteIPProxyProtocol is a on/off switch,
RemoteIPProxyProtocolExceptions can be used to fine tune exceptions.

> Same file : I'm not quite sure to understand the phrase "This is generally
> useful for monitoring and administrative
>     traffic to a virtual host direct to the server behind the upstream load
>     balancer."

Definitely not clear, need a bit of rework. Do you have something in mind
to fix it?

Luca