httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Luca Toscano <toscano.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: httpd on Twitter
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:08:47 GMT
Hi William,

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Luca Toscano <toscano.luca@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> I would like for us to do more with Twitter to get the word out that
> >> we're doing cool things, but could use some help brainstorming what
> >> kinds of things we should put there. I don't think we need something
> >> every day, but having something a couple of times a week seems a good
> >> cadence to aim for.
> >
> > I would love to see something like:
> >
> > 1) New features announced (new modules, important improvements for
> existing
> > ones, etc..), pointing the users to the newly created documentation (that
> > would also be a nice driver to improve/create docs).
>
> If we are discussing those that have been introduced in the 2.newest
> release,
> that sounds great!
>
> If we are discussing those that have been just-introduced and committed to
> trunk or the 2.newest release, that's a really thorny puzzle. The founders
> held
> to a policy that httpd wasn't published until a release vote had occured.
> Same
> founders have reversed themselves on legal-discuss that all commits that
> pass
> through git (we do) are considered 'published', whether they are
> released or not.

Yes I meant only things that have been already released, not in work in
progress. One good example could be the last improvements to mpm-event that
were shipped with the last 2.4 release!

> For example, we had long rejected setting up nightly snaps that are
> 'published'
> to non-{PMC}.apache.org/dev/ consumers, and at least at some point in the
> foundations history, the practice of publishing 'public' nightly or
> incremental
> snapshots to the general user community was banned.
>
> For the ASF HTTP Project twitter stream, it seems only
> "published-and-released"
> constitute newsworthy items.
>
> There might be a distinct purpose to having an ASF HTTP Developers twitter
> stream of what is happening here-and-now, with a twitter handle disclaimer
> that
> all tweets represent work-in-progress and are entirely subject to change or
> retraction.

Might be good to publish the commits as the httpd-dev IRC bot does, to
inform people about new things that the project is working on (with the
disclaimer that you mentioned).

> Keep in mind there is an httpd tag (and an ASF-wide security tag) for
> the ASF blog.
> This is a good cross reference target for twitter short-links.

Didn't know it, having blog posts linked in the twitter stream could also
be another good idea!

Luca