httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Luca Toscano <toscano.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: add a permanent "Bugfix checklist" section to all manual pages
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2016 07:17:21 GMT
Hi Christophe,

thanks for the feedback!

>:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think it would be the right place for that.
> When I'm looking for some doc, I'm not looking for changelog or bug
> reports.
> I expect the doc to be up-to-date and to have compatibility notes when
> needed (new functionality, changed behavior...)
>
> Maybe an entry on the main page (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/) under
> "Release Notes" for a link to the changelog and another one under "Other
> Topics" for reporting something to bugzilla?
>
> More than that would display, IMHO, no that useful information.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Adding some context about this idea: some days ago there was an email
thread in users@ about a strange behavior showed by the AllowOverrideList
directive, eventually turning up in a real bug. The documentation therefore
is consistent only from httpd version 2.4.20 onwards, and I wanted to add a
note to it (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1737382)
but I ended up putting it in the wrong place. Since the main takeaway was
to check CHANGES and bugzilla first, I wanted to add quicklinks for users
not familiar with them in a visible place. We can put it under a section in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4, but I would have preferred a more
recurrent and visible place.

"Compatibility" might be a better candidate as you pointed out! I checked
mod_core's documentation and indeed we have similar notes, even though this
one should look like "working only from version 2.18.20,  that looks weird
to me.

Anyhow, good discussion, let's see if other people have comments!

Regards,

Luca