httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Doc translation: what about a new workflow?
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:32:13 GMT
Converting the docs to use po files would be an enormous undertaking. So
while I'm not opposed to it, per se, I'd have a number of questions.

* Who is going to do the work?
* Will we end up with the same richness of formatting that is currently
available to us in the docbook format?

I have a number of times looked at what it would take to convert the
docs to markdown or asciidoc, and have always ended up deciding that
we'll lose too much in the conversion.

However, I certainly wouldn't *oppose* such a change if there was
someone willing to do all of the work.

As for dead translations ... yeah, this is a problem. We used to have
very active translators in a few areas, but they have almost all gone
away, and I don't know how to attract new translators. I agree that our
workflow is too complicated, and this has resulted in some translator
interest being turned away because their work never got committed. I
think that having reviews is important, but perhaps having a "has not
been reviewed" indicator would be an adequate half-way.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon