httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Luca Toscano <toscano.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Pre-retirement banner on all the 2.2.x documentation pages
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2016 10:05:20 GMT
Hi Apache doc writers,

I discussed in dev@ an idea to put the following banner on each
documentation page of the 2.2 branch:

--------------------
Please note
This document refers to the 2.2 version of Apache httpd that is still
maintained but not actively developed. Please upgrade to the current
version of Apache httpd to get performance improvements and new features.
The migration of the configuration files will require a bit of effort but
it will be definitely worth it in terms of performance and long term
maintainability.

Upgrading to the current version of Apache httpd (link to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/upgrading.html)

You may follow this link to go to the current version of this document.
--------------------

The goal would be to inform and remember to 2.2 users that the migration to
2.4 is strongly suggested. I attached a patch to this email to give you an
idea of what I have in mind.

Main things to discuss since this is a big change:

1) Is the wording ok? Do we need a different banner?
2) I reused the "retirement" scheme that was present since 2.0 to avoid
code repetition, but let me know if you want me to duplicate it.
3) I added the english banner to all the lang.* files, not sure if we need
translations before proceeding.

Let me know your thoughts and ideas :)

Thanks!

Luca