httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "Get24" by JeffTrawick
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:38:37 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "Get24" page has been changed by JeffTrawick:
https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Get24

Comment:
initial page

New page:
= Get 2.4 =

What are you waiting for?  httpd 2.4 has been the preferred stable release since 2012; httpd
2.2 is still supported, but it first appeared in 2006 and we won't keep updating it forever.
 Start moving to 2.4 before you have to.

The "official" [[http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/new_features_2_4.html|list of reasons to
upgrade]] is long but admittedly quite boring.  The key takeaways for 2.4 are

 * all sorts configuration improvements
 * Event MPM as the commonly used processing model on Unix, with drastically reduced thread
requirements, even compared with the experimental Event MPM with 2.2
 * numerous improvements in support of lean web server configurations which communicate with
web applications running out of process
 * new SSL features such as support for Elliptic Curve keys, OCSP for client certificates,
OCSP Stapling for server certificates

You need this stuff!

Some of the drag on the uptake of 2.4 has been due to Linux distribution cycles, but there
are also plenty of cases where the documented configuration for using third-party software
with httpd is some old and heavy mechanism from when you were in high school, and the promoted
configuration for nginx is a lean web server setup with segregation between front-end and
application.

== httpd bundled with the OS ==

As time goes on, more and more OS distributions are including httpd 2.4.  Even when they don't,
even versions from several years ago may include a version of OpenSSL new enough to support
modern protocols (as well as httpd 2.4).

|| '''Distribution/version''' || '''Has httpd 2.4?''' || '''If not, has sufficient OpenSSL?'''
|| Debian Wheezy || No (httpd 2.2.22) || Yes ||
|| Fedora 20 || Yes || -- ||
|| FreeBSD Ports for FreeBSD 9 and 10 || Yes || -- ||
|| openSUSE 12.3 || No (httpd 2.2.22) || Yes ||
|| openSUSE 13.1, 13.2 || Yes || -- ||
|| RHEL/CentOS 6 || No (httpd 2.2.15) || Yes ||
|| RHEL/CentOS 7 || Yes || -- ||
|| Ubuntu 14 || Yes || -- ||
|| Ubuntu 12 || No (httpd 2.2.?) || Yes ||

For situations with a sufficient level of OpenSSL bundled, other support libraries such as
Expat, PCRE, and zlib are also bundled.  You just need to build apr 1.latest, apr-util 1.latest,
and httpd 2.4.latest.

== Modern ways to configure applications with httpd ==

Where "Modern" == lean web server proxying application requests to separate processes

 * [[PHP-FPM|For PHP applications]]
 * [[http://emptyhammock.com/projects/info/pyweb/|For Python applications]]