httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Change of web site layout
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2014 21:23:05 GMT

On 06/16/2014 04:08 PM, Tim Bannister wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2014, at 09:54, Daniel Gruno <rumble@cord.dk> wrote:
>
> For httpd releases, here's what I think people want to know:
> • is it a security release
>    – if so, I'd like to know CVE numbers (links?) and a rough idea of impact
> • when did the release come out?
> • what are the headline changes?
> • which distributions have already packaged this release?
> • what was the previous release and where can I see the same information for that (maybe
I'm late with my updates)?

> I think the bit about packaging is important. Not to developers, sure, but for many users
it's worth pointing out that you typically won't need to download the code from ASF servers
at all. I'd argue that's better for security because most distributions check signatures automatically,
and I know that I for one often skip this when building from source.

I think this might be something for the docs, and indeed is something
I'm working on at the moment. Our "getting started"docs are geared
towards people that build from source, and I believe that hardly anybody
does that any more. (and all of you who pipe up and say "I do" just
prove that you're part of the exception, because you're on this list.)

> I haven't mentioned the formal announcement, nor the ChangeLog, nor the link to documentation.
These are important but I think all those, plus the download link, could be one click further
in, on a page about the particular httpd 2.x.x release that the visitor is interested in.
Superseded releases should have a clear link to the latest release for that branch.

> Does that sound like it's on the right lines? I know it's a big change but the main page
has to work for its constituency.

> ====
>
> Some other points:
>
> I might have a “looking for older releases?” link that explains the status of 1.3
/ 2.0 and the recommended alternative. That legacy stuff is still out there.

> Apache httpd being #1 on the internet is great news, but personally I'd put that on the
carousel. What sort of leading text should go in its place? I'm happy to put some work into
this.

Also, it's the text that's been on our website for at least 15 years.
So, yeah, it's probably time to say something different here.

> ====
> Stuff that's low priority:
>
> • For people using crazy web browsers I would suggest putting the navigation at the
end of the page and styling it at the top.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon