httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tim Bannister <is...@jellybaby.net>
Subject Re: Change of web site layout
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:08:04 GMT
On 16 Jun 2014, at 09:54, Daniel Gruno <rumble@cord.dk> wrote:

> On 06/16/2014 10:33 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> I find the carousel to be unhelpful. Left? Right? Is there an ordering? Where is
the info I need? I actually clicked the arrows several times until I realized there were just
three bits of info. It is just too difficult to "see at a glance". Carousels like that (IMO)
are best for non-"task" information. If I arrive and am seeking information, then put it directly
on the page for me to find quickly.

>> It is only three boxes of information. The look of the (carousel) box is nice. Put
three of those vertically on the page, and I'd say you're good.

> I'll give it a try - might take a while to get there, but I'll try :) I still would like
to use a carousel for other things, perhaps we could start adding some blog posts or tips'n'tricks
and use it for that?

> Part of what makes me like carousels is that they bring some life to a page, and our
front page, as it is right now, desperately needs some life. But I also ack that people don't
like to have the news in a carousel, so I'll try adding the news in a bit more traditional
fashion, and then we'll see if we can't use the carousel a bit lower on the page,but with
some 'alternative reading' suggestions.

For httpd releases, here's what I think people want to know:
• is it a security release
  – if so, I'd like to know CVE numbers (links?) and a rough idea of impact
• when did the release come out?
• what are the headline changes?
• which distributions have already packaged this release?
• what was the previous release and where can I see the same information for that (maybe
I'm late with my updates)?

I think the bit about packaging is important. Not to developers, sure, but for many users
it's worth pointing out that you typically won't need to download the code from ASF servers
at all. I'd argue that's better for security because most distributions check signatures automatically,
and I know that I for one often skip this when building from source.

I haven't mentioned the formal announcement, nor the ChangeLog, nor the link to documentation.
These are important but I think all those, plus the download link, could be one click further
in, on a page about the particular httpd 2.x.x release that the visitor is interested in.
Superseded releases should have a clear link to the latest release for that branch.

Does that sound like it's on the right lines? I know it's a big change but the main page has
to work for its constituency.

====

Some other points:

I might have a “looking for older releases?” link that explains the status of 1.3 / 2.0
and the recommended alternative. That legacy stuff is still out there.

Apache httpd being #1 on the internet is great news, but personally I'd put that on the carousel.
What sort of leading text should go in its place? I'm happy to put some work into this.

====
Stuff that's low priority:

• For people using crazy web browsers I would suggest putting the navigation at the end
of the page and styling it at the top.
• The links to sub-projects ought to work without JavaScript (crawlers?)
• I'd put 2.2 on the left and 2.4 on the right because I usually look at bottom-right for
the most recent stuff.

--
Tim Bannister – isoma@jellybaby.net